Dear Colleagues and Friends,
The Movement Control Order (MCO) to combat the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic in Malaysia has now entered its fifth phase, from 13th May to 9th June 2020. During this phase, a conditional MCO is in force, which allows almost all economic sectors and businesses to resume operations while observing the standard operating procedures (SOP) determined by respective authorities.
In the light of this, as of 12th May 2020, our Firm’s Corporate Office in Kuala Lumpur has re-opened and the Firm is able to receive all forms of postal communications.
Under the current period of conditional MCO till 9th June 2020, the Malaysian Intellectual Property Office (MyIPO) has resumed functioning with limited strength, while the e-filing services continue to operate as usual.
With the limited functional strength of the MyIPO, several matters that can ONLY be performed via manual filing will remain suspended till 9th June 2020. In this regard, the MyIPO has announced relaxations as outlined below:
- Renewal of trademark registrations that expired or expiring within the period of 27th December 2019 to 15th June 2020 is extended and shall be performed from 10th June to 16th June 2020.
- Due date for renewal of industrial design registrations is extended and shall be performed from 10th June to 16th June 2020.
- Response to trademark and industrial design Office Actions, including appeal, objection, opposition and any applicable payment is extended and shall be performed from 10th June to 16th June 2020.
- Trademark and industrial design related amendments and recordals, including change of name/address, assignment, merger, amendment of specification, etc. shall resume on 10th June 2020.
- Hearing and appeal sessions for patent, trademark and industrial design shall resume on 10th June 2020.
- Submission of physical documents and letters (e.g. certified true copy of foreign patent, etc.) shall resume on 10th June 2020.
- Applications for certified true copies/extracts shall resume on 10th June 2020.
- International filings through the Madrid System shall resume on 10th June 2020.
- Issuance of patent, trademark and industrial design physical documents by the MyIPO (e.g. certificate of grant/registration, certificate of renewals, etc.) shall resume on 10th June 2020.
- Applications for Voluntary Notification of Copyright shall resume on 10th June 2020.
Meanwhile, we thank you for your cooperation as we continue to handle all existing and new matters seamlessly at our usual efficiency. We hope that you and your families remain safe and well throughout this pandemic.
We will continue to monitor the situation and keep you apprised of any development.